The first Alien Cams were launched on the market in 1985 when David Waggoner founded CCH (Colorado Custom Hardware). The ability of Alien Cams to safely protect micro-fissures and other terrains completely revolutionised trad climbing and the mentality of climbers. In 2011, the Fixe Climbing group acquired CCH, and the brand was renamed Alien. The third generation, the Alien Revolution, continues the foundational values of the first model designed by Waggoner, while incorporating improvements in design and materials.
All Alien Cams units are assembled by hand at the Fixe factory in St Quirze Besora (Barcelona) according to EC and UIAA regulations.
The new Alien Revolution cams are lighter, more flexible and stronger than their predecessors. After a complete redesign, these are the main characteristics that make them an essential piece in the harness of any face climber:
- Improved geometry to avoid contact with the rock.
- Repairable pins.
- Aluminium piece colour-coded for each size.
- Longer thumb pull for easy recovery and better performance in deep cracks.
- Original aluminium lobes, with unbeatable bite on the rock.
- Ergonomic thumb pull.
- Slots on the trigger to facilitate removal with a nut tool.
- Extendable sling for lengthening anchor points